(a) Изучите примеры:
- I didn't enjoy the book. The story was so stupid.
- I didn't enjoy the book. It was such a stupid story.
Мы употебляем so с прилагательным без существительного: so interesting.
Мы употебляем such с прилагательным c существительным: such an interesting story.
Мы употебляем so с наречием: so carefully.
(b) So и such усиливают значение прилагательного.
so long но such a long time
so far но such a long way
so many но such a lot (of)
so much но such a lot (of)
Сравните so и such в следующих предложениях:
- I like Tom and Ann. They are so nice.
- I like Tom and Ann. They are such nice people. (но не `so nice people')
Часто мы говорим so...that..и such...that..:
- I was so tired that I went to bed at seven o'clock.
- She worked so hard that she made herself ill.
- It was such lovely weather that we spent the whole day in the garden.
- The book was so good that I couldn't put it down.
It was such a good book that I couldn't put it down.
Вы можете опустить that в этих предложениях:
- I was so tired (that) I went to bed at 7 o'clock.
(c) В этих предложениях мы употребляем so и such разным образом:
- I expected the weather to be mush cooler. I didn't expect it to be so warm. (= as warm as it is)
- I'm tired because I got up at 6 o'clock. I don't usually get up so early. (= as early as 6 o'clock)
- Hurry up! Don't walk so slowly. (= as slowly as you are walking)
- I was surprised when Jack told me the house was built 100 years ago. I didn't realise it was so old. (= as old as it is)
I didn't realise it was such an old house.
(d) Мы говорим:
so long но `such a long time';
so far но `such a long way';
so many, so much но `such a lot (of)':
- I haven't seen him for so long that I've forgotten what he looks like.
(или ... for such a long time ...)
- I didn't know you lived so far from the city centre. (или ... such a long way from ...)
- Why did you buy so much food? (или ... such a lot of food?)